Out of Bounce rule on #2 and #3

Front Page Forums General Chatter Out of Bounce rule on #2 and #3

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Wagner
    Participant

Apologies if this has been brought up before but I’ve heard varying opinions on what the actual rule is for a ball hit out of bounce (road side) off the tee on either #2 or #3. This question is just for the local rule of BMGA Wednesday night league and or BMGA weekend events.

Is it…
    1. Re-tee hitting your third shot
    2. Take distance and drop where ball crossed out of bounce hitting your third shot from that point.

Thanks, Jeff.

Steve Slivken
    Participant

Re-tee hitting 3rd shot. To the best of my knowledge, the MGA Senior Tour uses for suspected out-of-bounds or lost ball, you can determine where you feel the ball went OB or where it was lost. After determining that point, you can drop a ball two club lengths in the fairway no closer to the hole. However you are lying 3, hitting your fourth shot. Pace of play issue. In WNL. I have allowed people to drop with the assessed stroke and distance penalties.

Sheldon Silberman
    Participant

According to the full BMGA rules (hole by hole appendix) an out of bounds ball on the left side of holes 2 and 3 are played as a probable lost ball. Agree on probable spot and loose one stroke. Off the tee, you would be hitting your third shot after the drop.

Sheldon Silberman
    Participant

Only on WNL – not weekend events – then you follow Steve’s response.

I would encourage everyone to read the Local Rules. We have a hole-by-hole scenarios here:

https://bmga.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BMGA-Local-Rules_17-1.pdf

So Sheldon is correct, WNL we do have a pace-of-play lost ball rule. That can be found here:

If a ball is lost and it is certain that it is not out of bounds or in a hazard, for example left of the
    10th tee, the player may drop a ball near the agreed upon most likely location that should
    be.

However, if you look at the hole-by-hole scenario you will find:

The local rule for a lost ball generally should not be invoked on this hole for a ball lost along the
    left side, due to the relatively high probability that a ball lost is actually out of bounds.

There have been a bunch of questions about rules this year so we definitely need to revisit them and update for the 2021 season.

Mark Lange
    Participant

Thank you Rich for directing us to the Local Rules! This is always a nice refresher. I’m probably confusing myself, but I had a question from this document regarding an embedded ball. On page 2, it says for embedded ball “Relief for an embedded ball under rule 25-2 is expanded to include a ball embedded any place on the course except for in a hazard (which includes bunkers).”, which I interpret to mean that no relief is allowed for a ball embedded in the bunker. When I look at page 7, the embedded ball line references Rule 25-2 (we should probably update the rule numbers to the 2020 ROG, which is Rule 16 now as you mentioned), where there is a column for Local Exception (if any) that says “Includes Bunkers” next to 25-2. Should this be blank here, meaning no relief for embedded bunker ball, or is the “exception” that we do get relief? Just curious…I assume no relief in bunker, but I’m just trying to interpret the document.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.